"Train up a child in the way he should go, Even when he is old he will not depart from it." (Proverbs 22:6)
Catalyst—APC's School Outreach Initiative is geared toward impacting young minds in schools across the city, to help them know their Creator and discipling them to have a personal relationship with Jesus. We believe that the Catalyst Initiative will also inspire change in every area of their lives—be it in their values, choices, decisions, reactions and even in their lifestyles, as they step out of their schools and into the world. Our end goal is to make each student a 'catalyst' in the place where God leads them and to impact lives across the world for Christ's glory.
Our mission is to disciple them every year in the ways of the Lord. Upon the completion their schooling, we pray that they would live like a child of God and like citizens of the heavenly Kingdom.
We believe the Lord’s vision for Catalyst is to bring about His revival in schools. In the academic year 2010 – 2011 God gave us specific strategies to break ground in each school, so the school will be a holy ground where the manifest presence of the Lord can descend.
In the academic year 2011 – 2012, God reminded us through the great commission that we had taught the children only about the Father and Son and not about the Holy Spirit. God told us that we are His prophets; we would receive the Word of the Lord and sense the move of God. All we need to do is to be obedient and sensitive to the leading of the Holy Spirit. He will help us speak about the third person in the Trinity and also baptize the children in the Holy Spirit.
In the last academic year (2011-12), we ran the Catalyst program in 9 schools in Bangalore. The Catalyst team comprises of two full-time staff and 8 volunteers who teach Scripture in Classes 3 to 7 and Value Education in Classes 8 to 10.
For the Scripture program, we use our own tailor-made curriculum, which is a four part program.
Part I – Who Jesus is!
Narrating various Bible stories, we tell the children about Jesus
Part II – Salvation Series
We talk to the children about sin and its consequences, and the salvation that Jesus Christ provides through faith in Him, and lead them to accept Christ.
Part III – Wrong Attitudes
With the help of Bible stories, we highlight wrong attitudes and ways to deal with and overcome them.
Part IV – Right Attitudes
We teach about attitudes that please God.
For the Value Education program, we use the ‘Dare to be Different’ curriculum.
Progress should indicate outcome or results and here we list a few of them, and also believe a lot more has happened in the supernatural realm and that we have received all that we have asked of the Lord in prayer.
- The truth about the Only Living God as against the myths of the many gods of this world was discussed this year with several classes. God gave us bold utterances.
- Sessions either ended or started with prayer in the name of Jesus. So children have been taught to speak to Jesus.
- A couple of teachers and principals have been given Bibles and relevant Word-based books. One of the teachers even visited our church and enjoyed our Big Sunday service. Her daughter was particularly blessed.
- After a year’s teaching of the Scripture, after the screening of the movie ‘Jesus,’ the children spontaneously clapped.
- We shared the salvation message with all the classes before the close of the academic year and initiated the children to respond to the message by accepting the Lord as their personal Savior, of their own free will.
- We have taught them Scripture verses and believe that God’s Word, which is the Truth, will set them free.
- We counseled and prayed over children facing personal problems and know that the Lord has begun the healing process in them.